Lightweight and luxurious, facial serums deliver a concentrated dose of active ingredients to the skin. While some are designed to hydrate, others help to improve skin texture, refine pores and soothe irritation, or minimise breakouts, pigmentation and the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
With so much choice comes confusion, however – and choosing the right serum routine for your skin type is important. Thankfully, this step-by-step guide makes selection simple.
To discover the La Roche-Posay serum routines* best suited to dry to combination, sensitive or allergy-prone, and oily and acne-prone skins, read on! You’ll also learn the ingredients most effective during the day, and those best applied at night.
DRY COMBINATION SKIN? TRY ANTIOXIDANT & ANTI AGEING SERUMS
As we age our production of collagen, elastin and hyaluronic acid slows, and we experience fine lines and wrinkles, a loss of volume and increased dryness. Meanwhile, less efficient skin cell turnover can also leave the complexion dull and uneven.
The good news? While some skin ageing is intrinsic, it’s also greatly influenced by external factors. This means that daily application of broad-spectrum sunscreenis the single most powerful action you can take against premature ageing.
Incorporating antioxidant and anti-ageing serums into your skincare routine can also help. For dry, normal and combination skin concerned with ageing, protective Vitamin C, refining retinol and hydrating hyaluronic acid are ingredients worth considering.
MORNING ROUTINE: DRY TO COMBINCATION SKIN
An anti-ageing morning routine should start with cleansing, include an antioxidant serum, and finish with UV protection.
- Cleanser: Start by gently cleansing. La Roche-Posay’s Toleriane range contains minimalist cleansers for normal to combination, normal to dry and dry intolerant sensitive skin.
- Eye cream: Ideal for AM use, Redermic Vitamin C Anti-Ageing Eye Cream combines Vitamin C and anti-ageing actives to brighten and smooth the eye contour.
- Antioxidant serum: The hero of many anti-ageing and brightening serums, Vitamin C is a powerful antioxidant. Best applied before sun exposure, the Vitamin C 10 Brightening Serum pairs Vitamin C (L-ascorbic acid) with salicylic acid to minimise free radical damage and improve skin texture and radiance.
- Moisturiser: Next, lock in moisture.Hyalu B5 Hyaluronic Acid Anti-Ageing Moisturiser hydrates and re-plumps with hyaluronic acid, as soothing Vitamin B5 helps repair the skin’s barrier.
- Sunscreen: Finish with a broad-spectrum, SPF50+ sunscreen from the Anthelios range**. The ultra-light Anthelios Invisible Fluid Facial Sunscreen SPF 50+ is formulated for normal to combination skin, while Anthelios Ultra Facial Sunscreen SPF 50+ nourishes dry skin.
SHOP THE ROUTINE
EVENING ROUTINE: DRY TO COMBINATION SKIN
Most skin repair occurs overnight, and water loss also increases. Adding a retinol serum can help accelerate repair, while hyaluronic acid helps combat dehydration.
PRODUCTS FOR DRY TO COMBINATION SKIN
- Cleanser: To enhance penetration of your PM serums, first remove impurities and makeup with your preferred Toleriane cleanser.
- Eye cream: Helping to accelerate skin renewal, retinol is the gold-standard ingredient for anti-ageing. Suitable for sensitive skin, La Roche-Posay’s Redermic R Anti-Wrinkle Eye Cream combines pure and slow-release retinol with caffeine for a smoother, firmer eye area.
- Anti-ageing serum: With refining retinol and barrier-boosting niacinamide (Vitamin B3), Retinol B3 Anti-Ageing Serum helps to resurface skin and minimise the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. The addition of gradual retinol and soothing, strengthening B3 helps increase tolerance for sensitive skin.
Hydrating serum & moisturiser: The best serum for dry skin will simultaneously hydrate skin and fortify its barrier to improve moisture retention. Meanwhile, a serum for combination skin should hydrate dry areas without leaving the t-zone greasy. For a boost of hydration alongside skin moisture barrier comforting ingredients, reach for the Cicaplast B5 Serum infused with 10% vitamin B5. Vitamin B5, or panthenol, is formulated to target dry skin concerns such as flaky, red or tight feeling skin in a lightweight formula. These effects are amplified with the addition of prebiotic Aqua Posae Filiformis to assist the skin microbiome, and HEPES to gently refine skin texture with regular use. Top off your night skincare routine with your preferred moisturiser, or for daytime follow up with a broad spectrum sunscreen.
ULTRA-SENSITIVE OR ALLERGY-PRONE?
While all La Roche-Posay serums are formulated for sensitive skin, the Toleriane Ultra Dermallergo Hydrating Serum is specifically designed to reduce discomfort in ultra-sensitive and allergy-prone skin.
MOURNING ROUTINE: ULTRA SENSITIVE OR ALLERGY PRONE SKIN
A simple skincare routine with hydrating, soothing ingredients will help keep sensitive skin comfortable throughout the day.
- Cleanser: Intolerant skin needs ultra-gentle cleansing, and the Toleriane Gentle Cream Dermo-Cleanser fits the bill. With moisturising glycerin and soothing La Roche-Posay Thermal Spring Water, the hypoallergenic formula can be removed with or without water.
- Soothing serum: Less is more when searching for the best serum for sensitive skin, and the Toleriane Ultra Dermallergo Hydrating Serum is free from fragrances and common allergens. Instead, it contains a high concentration of Neurosensine to reduce skin discomfort and help reduce redness.
- Eye cream: Sensitive eyes need gentle care.Dermatologist-tested, Toleriane Dermallergo Eye Cream For Sensitive Skin is formulated with Neurosensine, niacinamide and La Roche-Posay Thermal Spring Water to soothe and hydrate dry, sensitive eyes.
- Moisturiser: For intensive hydration, the fragrance- and alcohol-free Toleriane Dermallergo Overnight Moisturiser nourishes with glycerin and shea butter. Meanwhile Neurosensine helps to visibly reduce redness.
- Sunscreen: Finish by applying a broad-spectrum, SPF50+ sunscreen. The Anthelios Invisible Fluid Facial Sunscreen SPF 50+and Ultra formulas are both dermatologist-tested and non-eye stinging.
EVENING ROUTINE: ULTRA-SENSITIVE OR ALLERGY PRONE SKIN
If you’re tempted to skip your PM skincare routine, don’t. Overnight, hormonal fluctuations and increased water loss can make sensitive and allergy-prone skin itchy and uncomfortable.
QUICKSHOP:PRODUCTS FOR ULTRA-SENSITIVE OR ALLERGY PRONE SKIN
- Cleanser: Wipe away dirt, makeup and potential irritants with the Toleriane Dermo-Cleanser.
- Soothing serum: Apply a soothing, hydrating serum to help prevent overnight itching. Scientifically proven to reduce skin sensitivities in 28 days, Toleriane Ultra Dermallergo Hydrating Serum hydrates for up to 48 hours and reinforces the skin’s barrier in just one hour.
- Eye cream: Follow with Toleriane Ultra Eye Contour Cream.
- Moisturiser: To lock in moisture, try Toleriane Dermallergo Overnight Moisturiser. Tested on allergic skin, this moisturiser has a light, fluid-gel texture, and contains Neurosensine and an antioxidant complex for soothing overnight care.
OILY & ACNE-PRONE SKIN ? TRY A SALICYLIC ACID SERUM
All skin types can benefit from a serum – even oily and acne-prone skins. However, it’s crucial any serum for oily skin is free from pore-clogging ingredients that can result in blackheads or pimples. Instead, opt for ingredients such as salicylic, glycolic and lipohydroxy acids (LHA).
Helping to balance sebum production and improve skin cell turnover, these alpha and beta hydroxy acids are found in the La Roche-Posay Effaclar range. Alongside an ultra-concentrated micro-exfoliating serum for acne-prone skin, the range includes products designed to address current blemishes, while helping reduce future breakouts and post-acne pigmentation.
Expert Tip: Bear in mind that a skin turnover cycle can take 4-6 weeks. This means that a consistent approach to your anti-acne skincare regime is recommended for lasting results.
MOURNING ROUTINE FOR: OILY &ACNE-PRONE SKIN?
Oily and acne-prone skins benefit from sebum-balancing, purifying ingredients that help remove dead skin cells, without aggravating acne. Daily sun protection is also crucial to prevent hyperpigmentation.
- Cleanser: For those with moderate acne-prone skin, Effaclar Micro-Peeling Gel Cleanser contains 2% salicylic acid to exfoliate pores from within. While it can be used daily if tolerated, it’s often best to start with once a week use and increase frequency gradually.
- Toner: For a shine-free complexion, apply the Serozinc Mattifying Toning Facial Mist – formulated with mattifying Zinc.
- EYE CREAM: Looking to incorporate an anti-ageing, brightening eye cream into your morning routine? Redermic Vitamin C Anti-Ageing Eye Cream is a good option.
- Moisturiser: Even oily skins need moisture. Ultra-light and hydrating, Effaclar Duo (+) Anti-Acne Moisturiser targets blocked pores, blemishes, blackheads and marks. Formulated with micro-exfoliating BHAs and soothing niacinamide, it visibly reduces redness, while instantly mattifying oily skin with zinc PCA.
- Sunscreen: Don’t avoid sunscreen because you’re worried about breakouts! Instead, choose a non-comedogenic, non-greasy option. With powerful mattifying ingredient Airlicium, Anthelios XL Anti-Shine Dry Touch Facial Sunscreen SPF 50+delivers broad-spectrum, comfortable protection.
EVENING ROUTINE: OILY & ACNE-PRONE SKIN
To avoid irritation, certain anti-acne ingredients, such as glycolic acid, are best used at night. Evening is also the ideal time to use an anti-acne serum to help boost the skin’s natural exfoliation rate and reduce breakout recurrence.
- Cleanser: To remove dirt, bacteria and oils that accumulate throughout the day, cleanse with your preferred Effaclar cleanser.
- Toner: Apply Serozinc Toning Mist.
- Eye cream: Powered by two types of retinol,Redermic Vitamin C Anti-Ageing Eye Cream is suitable for all skin types concerned with ageing.
- Serum: In a PM routine for mild to moderate acne-prone skin, Effaclar Anti-Acne Salicylic Acid Serum targets imperfections and wrinkles with a refining Tri-Acid Complex and soothing niacinamide. Formulated with LHA, salicylic acid and glycolic acid, it micro-exfoliates skin and helps stimulate renewal, while helping to unclog and refine pores, and prevent future breakouts.
* This article provides general information only. For skincare advice related to your specific skin concerns, we recommend consulting with a healthcare professional.
**ALWAYS READ THE LABEL. FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS FOR USE.
Apply 20 minutes before sun exposure. Sunscreen is only one part of sun protection so wear protective clothing and seek shade. Avoid prolonged sun exposure. Reapply every 2 hours and after swimming, towelling and perspiring in accordance with directions.
Related SERUM Articles
Stay In Touch