MEET THE NEW GENERATION OF DERMO-COSMETICS
Today, expert dermo-cosmetic formulas take a multi-pronged approach to hydrating skin:
• Emollient agents make skin softer and more pliable by filling the gaps between the dead cells at skin’s surface.
• Humectants act like sponge molecules to capture water and rebalance skin’s protective hydrolipidic film.
• Occlusive substances create a sealed barrier to stop moisture evaporating off the epidermis.
• Prebiotic agents replenish skin’s microbiome to create a further layer of natural defenses.
MODERNIZING YOUR MOISTURIZER:
The stresses of modern life can deplete skin’s microbiome. Climate, ultraviolet radiation, pollution and lifestyle habits can all influence its composition , leaving skin stripped and more sensitive (stingy, tingly, generally grouchy…sound familiar?). That’s why next-generation skincare is bringing innovative ways of replenishing your skin’s microbiome to the table.
HOW DOES IT WORK?
Increasingly, dermatologists and skincare formulators have been singing the praises of prebiotics in skincare, particularly for sensitive skin. These naturally occurring nutrients do so by acting like a fertiliser – creating the ideal environment for a harmonious microbiome and in this way, they help restore the optimal bacterial balance required for healthy and resilient skin.
Here are some ingredients to look out for:
- Prebiotic thermal water drives the full spectrum of bacterial diversity thanks to rare minerals (Selenium, Strontium…), trace elements and pure MOISTURE.
- Ceramides simultaneously replenish skin’s physical lipid barrier while providing a source of carbon for bacteria to feed on.
- Niacinamide is used in petri dishes to encourage bacterial growth. It is also super effective at soothing skin, which is handy since inflammation is associated with dysbiosis (reduced bacterial diversity).
Central to La Roche-Posay’s healthy skin philosophy, prebiotics are the first step towards a beautifully balanced skin microbiome, and a better life for sensitive skin. Due to its unique combination of nutrients and minerals including magnesium and selenium, La Roche-Posay Thermal Spring Water is a prebiotic thermal spring water with proven skin-soothing properties. Used within the La Roche-Posay products, the antioxidant-rich water is also available in a convenient spray. Sprayed as needed, it immediately soothes and refreshes sensitive skin, while helping to support a healthy skin microbiome. The benefits of prebiotics extends beyond the Thermal Spring Water however, so read on to find out what other La Roche-Posay products feature microbiome supportive prebiotics.
For dry, very dry skin prone to miild eczema, Lipikar Baume AP+ provides instant hydrating relief and supportive skin barrier repair. Dermatologist approved for the entire family, from infant to adult, this lipid-replenishing balm locks in moisture an helps maintain the skin’s barrier with Aqua Posae Filiformis, Niacinamide and Shea Butter. Instantly hydrating with 24-hour anti-scratch efficacy, it reduces inflammation, sensations of tightness and discomfort.
For dry and tight sensitive skin with occasional redness, Toleriane Sensitive Moisturiser provides prebiotic care, while hydrating for 48 hours with Glycerin, and soothing and strengthening with Niacinamide. After four weeks’ use, sensations of tightness are reduced by 78%, with a 55% reduction in dryness*. Very dry sensitive skin may benefit from Toleriane Sensitive Riche.
Acne breakouts can be addressed with Effaclar Duo [+]. Prebiotic ingredient Aqua Posae Filiformis helps regulate the skin microbiome to help reduce blemishes from recurring. Light and mattifying, the corrective moisturiser also provides gentle exfoliation with LHA and salicylic acid to prevent dead skin cells from blocking pores. Meanwhile, Niacinamide soothes and Procerad™ reduces the appearance of red and brown marks.